Skip to main content

Machine Quilting for Beginners

Aside from gardening, another hobby of mine is quilting. I don't like things going too slowly, so machine quilting it is. I don't have enough patience for hand sewing.

First: I joined a quilting class.
Second: I purchased my first sewing machine with hints and tips from my quilting teacher.
Third: Didn't know how to sew, so quilting class number one, was also sewing lesson number one!
Don't get all agasp and think wow I couldn't do that! Yes you could, cause I did! As my quilting teacher pointed out...."it's just straight lines, or crooked lines", "anyone can do that", and fortunately she was right! Anyone did....me.

Since then, the bug has well and truly bitten. I enjoy all types of quilting from applique, to patches, to well....anything that I fancy. I like to make quilts that you can toss in the washing machine, hang on the cloths line, and then use. I'm not into show quilts. If you can't use it, I have no interest in making it. Hence, every bed in our house has its own quilt. My son has a quilt (African Animals), by nephew has a quilt (Skulls and Crossbones). If I'm making a quilt for someone, I like to take them fabric hunting with me if possible so they can choose the main fabric/theme for their quilt. Then the rest is up to me.
As a beginner sewer, I only use 3 different feet on my sewing machine. A standard sewing foot for zig zag and straight sewing, a walking foot for ditch stitching when quilting and a free sewing foot for ....well....free sewing when quilting. Another tool I like is an implement that you use to "mark a line" on your quilt to help you sew straight for long distances this is particularly  useful.

My favorite quilting tip is to pin (with safety pins) all 3 layers of the quilt together, instead of basting. Pinning works really well (use non rusting pins) and the pins are easy to remove as you sew.
All you need to do is tape the back of your quilt  (right side down) to a solid floor (not carpet), then place your wadding on top of that and lastly your quilt top (right side up). Your quilt back is held firmly in place with the masking tape and should be larger that the quilt top. The wadding should be slightly smaller or the same size as the back and your quilt top should be the smallest. Once all 3 are sitting together, start from the middle and pin about 100mm apart, gradually working your way to the edges, smoothing out the top as you go. When pinning is complete, untape the quilt back from the floor, all 3 layers are securely held together, reading for you to quilt. (sew them together).
Walking Foot

3 feet I use

Free sewing foot




Line marker


Ready to "walk the line". Note pins holding 3 layers together.

Cross hatched square - quilting

Skulls & Crossbones quilt top

Skulls & Crossbones quilt back with label.

Foundation Sampler - Front

Foundation Sampler - back

Purple Hearts - Front

Purple Hearts - back

African Animals - Front

African Animals - Back

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Baby Magpie Season

Yes it's Spring again. I know because the local magpies have 2 babies. I know this because I occasionally throw out scraps on my back lawn to supplement their food rations and they are regular visitors. This week they brought me a present.....2 babies. Must be a good season this year to be raising 2 babies instead of 1. Anyway the magpies here in Melbourne are white backed magpies as apposed to the magpies at Tocumwal in N.S.W. which are black backed magpies. Also the birds here in Melb. are larger than their northern cousins, probably all the McDonalds they eat down here! I enjoy listening to their warbling song and can't help but shake my head at the patience and persistence of the adult birds constantly being "harassed" by the chicks for food. They are noisy little critters when they are hungry and very bossy, often pecking at the adult birds for more food. I've named them....squarker 1 and squarker 2, they never seem to stop. Poor parent birds, these chicks a

Great Places To Visit To Eat in Melbourne. - Jahdomes - Mill Park

There's a lovely little French Cafe called Jahdomes off Childs Rd, Mill Park ( I think the shopping centre is called "The Stables"). if you happen to live within visiting range. Have eaten there a couple of times now with friends and found the food very good. They have a good range of breakfasts, lunches, tapas and desserts.  Good coffee to. They are closed on Tuesdays, but open otherwise as far as I know. I enjoyed the Mediterranean Scrambled Egg with Turkish Bread (feta, chorizo, tomato ) and coffee for lunch today. Very good. My friend had a scrambled egg with smoked salmon and a side salad instead of Turkish Bread, which they were happy to do, and she enjoyed that as well, and washed it down with a Chi Latte with spice. Breakfasts can be ordered up to 3.00pm so if your like us and like your eggs, you can have them for lunch!

Great Places To Visit: Tocumwal NSW on the Murray River.

 Perhaps I'm a little prejudiced, as Tocumwal is my home town, but I've always loved the Murray River Red Gums and watching the river & the bird, animal life here. All year around it delights me. Even the noisy Corella's can't put me off, I love living here. So why would a visitor want to spend time in Toc? Let me list just a small few off its attractions for you: Water sports: Fishing, skiing, swimming, canoeing, and any other water play you might like. Food: We have a number of Pubs, Clubs, Restaurants & Cafes if not in town then in easy driving distant. BIG variety for good old schnitzels, salads & chips to take-a-way favorites, great Coffee & Cakes and Bakery delights to tempt the taste buds!!  If you're an Artist or Photographer then Toc is a plethora of diverse landscapes to draw (pun intended) your attention. I for one have never tired of its beauty.  For the traveler's in their campers or caravans Toc has a selection of options for you to