Skip to main content

Great Places To Visit - Melbourne, Victoria, Australia- Parklands

Melbourne is a very diverse city. Being a country girl at heart I never thought I would be able to live happily in a city. Melbourne has proved to me that I can with its many park lands and reserves.  Having purchased a black miniature poodle to save my sanity, and make me walk more, I have begun to seek out areas where I can take her that are dog friendly.

Right on my doorstep is a bike path that winds its way along Darebin Creek and onwards. I enjoy taking Miss Lily along the many pathways within the Darebin Parklands, as they have sections which are dog friendly and clearly marked  "off lead" areas where your dog can run free, chase a ball etc. Of course you are expected to be considerate of other people and their dogs in these areas and it is your responsibility to ensure your dog is obedient even off lead and friendly towards other dogs and people.

Miss Lily is very friendly, and mostly obedient. Occasionally she might see another dog her size and run to say "hello", sometimes she doesn't listen and come back, but once she has said "hello", and waggled at her new found friend, then she comes.  It seems that way with most people's dogs, and as I would only let her off lead because she is so friendly, I hope others think the same.  So far that has been the case, and generally speaking, the owners get together and have a quick, friendly chat whilst the dogs have a little social interaction and fun. Then its's back to their owners and if necessary, back on lead and moving on.  So love being able to allow her this freedom and meeting other people who love their dogs enough to train them and allow them to "meet and greet", other owners and their dogs. There are also bins provided with bags attached throughout the park lands so you can clean up after your dog. Great idea. Keeps the area clean for everyone.  Personally, I always carry a plastic bag with me when I walk Miss Lily, even if she has been to the toilet at home, just in case. You can get fined if you don't clean up after your dog. Personally, I think it's irresponsible not to clean up after them, after all, I hate coming out to my mailbox and finding dog droppings on my nature strip, so I make sure Miss Lily and I don't leave them on anyone else's nature strip. 

Anyway here are some pics from this mornings walk, around Darebin Parklands in Ivanhoe.
I Love trees

Miss Lily standing on a rock -Queen of all she sees.

Morning sunlight on Darebin Creek

Darebin Creek

Miss Lily checking out something in the dewy grass.











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Baby Magpie Season

Yes it's Spring again. I know because the local magpies have 2 babies. I know this because I occasionally throw out scraps on my back lawn to supplement their food rations and they are regular visitors. This week they brought me a present.....2 babies. Must be a good season this year to be raising 2 babies instead of 1. Anyway the magpies here in Melbourne are white backed magpies as apposed to the magpies at Tocumwal in N.S.W. which are black backed magpies. Also the birds here in Melb. are larger than their northern cousins, probably all the McDonalds they eat down here! I enjoy listening to their warbling song and can't help but shake my head at the patience and persistence of the adult birds constantly being "harassed" by the chicks for food. They are noisy little critters when they are hungry and very bossy, often pecking at the adult birds for more food. I've named them....squarker 1 and squarker 2, they never seem to stop. Poor parent birds, these chicks a

Great Places To Visit To Eat in Melbourne. - Jahdomes - Mill Park

There's a lovely little French Cafe called Jahdomes off Childs Rd, Mill Park ( I think the shopping centre is called "The Stables"). if you happen to live within visiting range. Have eaten there a couple of times now with friends and found the food very good. They have a good range of breakfasts, lunches, tapas and desserts.  Good coffee to. They are closed on Tuesdays, but open otherwise as far as I know. I enjoyed the Mediterranean Scrambled Egg with Turkish Bread (feta, chorizo, tomato ) and coffee for lunch today. Very good. My friend had a scrambled egg with smoked salmon and a side salad instead of Turkish Bread, which they were happy to do, and she enjoyed that as well, and washed it down with a Chi Latte with spice. Breakfasts can be ordered up to 3.00pm so if your like us and like your eggs, you can have them for lunch!

Great Places To Visit: Tocumwal NSW on the Murray River.

 Perhaps I'm a little prejudiced, as Tocumwal is my home town, but I've always loved the Murray River Red Gums and watching the river & the bird, animal life here. All year around it delights me. Even the noisy Corella's can't put me off, I love living here. So why would a visitor want to spend time in Toc? Let me list just a small few off its attractions for you: Water sports: Fishing, skiing, swimming, canoeing, and any other water play you might like. Food: We have a number of Pubs, Clubs, Restaurants & Cafes if not in town then in easy driving distant. BIG variety for good old schnitzels, salads & chips to take-a-way favorites, great Coffee & Cakes and Bakery delights to tempt the taste buds!!  If you're an Artist or Photographer then Toc is a plethora of diverse landscapes to draw (pun intended) your attention. I for one have never tired of its beauty.  For the traveler's in their campers or caravans Toc has a selection of options for you to