Skip to main content

Great Places To Visit - Tocumwal N.S.W. - Australia.

The sweet little town of Tocumwal is nestled on the Murray River on the N.S.W. border, with Victoria on the other side of the river. A quaint little border town, with great little Cafes to eat at, a lovely foreshoe with "Big Murray" the fibreglass murraycod lazing by the water and wonderful Farmers Markets full of beautiful fresh, locally grown produce.  This weekend when we visited (which we do as often as we can, as we have a holiday home there) we attended the small but well stocked Farmers Market.  As the weather warms up, so will the number of stalls at this market. It was small this weekend, but the produce was amazing.
If you are looking for a relaxing few days away from "the big smoke" Toc (as it is know by the locals) is a place well worth your consideration. If you are a keen fisherman or golfer, than you should most certainly consider it. Toc has a very good golf course and is only a 15minute drive to the Cobram/Barooga Golf Club which is highly regarded and has a good "Sportsman" Club with meals etc.  Toc also has a Golf Club which serves good meals.
If you don't want to go to the Golf Club to eat there are a number of pubs to pick from in the town as well as 2 bakeries and an assortment of Cafes.  You won't go hungry!









A little history for you.  I grew up in Tocumwal and my father was a keen fisherman when he was younger. He's now 83. I do have a couple of his fishing photos from when he was in his 40's that I thought I would share with you.  It would be very rare these days to catch a Murray Cod this size anywhere! You'll have to forgive the quality of the photo, it's very old.

I think this Cod weighed in around 75Lbs.

Being a keen fisherman, dad also had a great sense of humor as this Fisherman's Crying Towel shows. The fish on it are red fin, which I don't think you will see anywhere in the Murray now.



Dad always had a great wood heap as all our heating and cooking was done on combustion stoves, and wood heaters. This is a photo of his wood heap taken about 20 years ago with his grandson (our son) posing with him as a small child.





Then there is the beauty and tranquility of the Murray River itself. I never get tired of spending time on it's banks listening to the birds, and watching the ever changing beauty in front of me as the day progresses. Love it.












And last, but not least.  "Big Murray", the fibreglass murray cod who lazes on the foreshore.  This photo was taken about 10  or so years ago.  If you go and visit "Big Murray" now, you will find he looks vastly different!  Check him out for yourself and compare his "make-over".  It certainly put some life back in the "old boy". Oh and he doesn't bite!









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Baby Magpie Season

Yes it's Spring again. I know because the local magpies have 2 babies. I know this because I occasionally throw out scraps on my back lawn to supplement their food rations and they are regular visitors. This week they brought me a present.....2 babies. Must be a good season this year to be raising 2 babies instead of 1. Anyway the magpies here in Melbourne are white backed magpies as apposed to the magpies at Tocumwal in N.S.W. which are black backed magpies. Also the birds here in Melb. are larger than their northern cousins, probably all the McDonalds they eat down here! I enjoy listening to their warbling song and can't help but shake my head at the patience and persistence of the adult birds constantly being "harassed" by the chicks for food. They are noisy little critters when they are hungry and very bossy, often pecking at the adult birds for more food. I've named them....squarker 1 and squarker 2, they never seem to stop. Poor parent birds, these chicks a

Great Places To Visit To Eat in Melbourne. - Jahdomes - Mill Park

There's a lovely little French Cafe called Jahdomes off Childs Rd, Mill Park ( I think the shopping centre is called "The Stables"). if you happen to live within visiting range. Have eaten there a couple of times now with friends and found the food very good. They have a good range of breakfasts, lunches, tapas and desserts.  Good coffee to. They are closed on Tuesdays, but open otherwise as far as I know. I enjoyed the Mediterranean Scrambled Egg with Turkish Bread (feta, chorizo, tomato ) and coffee for lunch today. Very good. My friend had a scrambled egg with smoked salmon and a side salad instead of Turkish Bread, which they were happy to do, and she enjoyed that as well, and washed it down with a Chi Latte with spice. Breakfasts can be ordered up to 3.00pm so if your like us and like your eggs, you can have them for lunch!

Great Places To Visit: Tocumwal NSW on the Murray River.

 Perhaps I'm a little prejudiced, as Tocumwal is my home town, but I've always loved the Murray River Red Gums and watching the river & the bird, animal life here. All year around it delights me. Even the noisy Corella's can't put me off, I love living here. So why would a visitor want to spend time in Toc? Let me list just a small few off its attractions for you: Water sports: Fishing, skiing, swimming, canoeing, and any other water play you might like. Food: We have a number of Pubs, Clubs, Restaurants & Cafes if not in town then in easy driving distant. BIG variety for good old schnitzels, salads & chips to take-a-way favorites, great Coffee & Cakes and Bakery delights to tempt the taste buds!!  If you're an Artist or Photographer then Toc is a plethora of diverse landscapes to draw (pun intended) your attention. I for one have never tired of its beauty.  For the traveler's in their campers or caravans Toc has a selection of options for you to