Skip to main content

Great Places To Visit - Australasian Quilt Convention - Melbourne Royal Exhibition Building - April 16-19, 2015.

Had a fun 2 days at the AQC recently.Beautiful quilts everywhere you looked. Some inspirational, some just plain daunting in their detail and workmanship!  Loved it all.  Enjoyed browsing the many stands with lots of different "quilt stuff" to look through, learn about and purchase. Yes, I can resist anything, except temptation when it come to quilting.  I had a ball buying bits and pieces from fabrics to templates to cottons,  lots of quilting stuff.  Poor hubby, he won't be quitting his day job in a hurry. God bless him and his generous nature.

Anyway I learned heaps from the free 1/2 hour seminars and enjoyed playing on the VERY expensive long arm quilting machines. They are so large they would take up 1/2 my house! Fun to play with though.  Unfortunately the lack of space was the last thing I needed to worry about as the price tag for these things starts at around $17,000.00 and that's a convention special!  For a home hobby quilter that's just way beyond my reach. Still I can play with them at the conventions, and that's always fun.

I enrolled in the "Make a laundry bag for our Troups", course at the Bernina stand. What great fun that was for only $5 and the material was already donated.  Got to try out a Bernina sewing machine to make it on to. Felt like I was doing my 5 cents worth for our soldiers.

There were a great collection of things to do or see from Lucky Door Prizes, Quilt Show, Special Guest Speakers, Convention Classes, Shopping, Seminars, Sewing Room, Make & Take Classes, and much more. Needed 2 days to do everything I wanted and see everything there was to see! Luckily it runs for 4 days, so plenty of time.

I especially enjoyed the Tributes to our diggers quilts titled Lest We Forget. Fantastic photo of a group of our overseas diggers holding up their very own home made quilts from strangers to them.  Also the Aussie Hero Quilts stand sends handmade quilts and laundry bags to Aussie service men and women serving overseas to express gratitude for their service. "Not works of art, but works of the heart".  I was very pleased to be able to be a small part of this with my laundry bag.  If any of my readers out there are interested in helping out with quilt blocks or laundry bags or just want to know more about Aussie Hero Quilts & Laundry Bags here are some quick links for you:

At aussieheroquilts.blogspot.com.au they have all of the information you will need to get started.

For information about quilt sizes::  www.aussieheroquilts.blogspot.com.au/p/quilt-specifices.html

For information about laundry bags & tutorial: www.aussieheroquilts.blogspot.com.au/p/tutorials-quilts-n-blocks.html

You can also "like" them on Facebook: Aussie Hero Quilts (And Laundry Bags)

The woman who started this is Jan-Maree Ball (Founder & Coordinator)

Phew! That's about it for Aussie Quilts.  I wanted to include this though as I feel strongly about supporting our troops and want to be able to share this with others.












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Baby Magpie Season

Yes it's Spring again. I know because the local magpies have 2 babies. I know this because I occasionally throw out scraps on my back lawn to supplement their food rations and they are regular visitors. This week they brought me a present.....2 babies. Must be a good season this year to be raising 2 babies instead of 1. Anyway the magpies here in Melbourne are white backed magpies as apposed to the magpies at Tocumwal in N.S.W. which are black backed magpies. Also the birds here in Melb. are larger than their northern cousins, probably all the McDonalds they eat down here! I enjoy listening to their warbling song and can't help but shake my head at the patience and persistence of the adult birds constantly being "harassed" by the chicks for food. They are noisy little critters when they are hungry and very bossy, often pecking at the adult birds for more food. I've named them....squarker 1 and squarker 2, they never seem to stop. Poor parent birds, these chicks a

Great Places To Visit To Eat in Melbourne. - Jahdomes - Mill Park

There's a lovely little French Cafe called Jahdomes off Childs Rd, Mill Park ( I think the shopping centre is called "The Stables"). if you happen to live within visiting range. Have eaten there a couple of times now with friends and found the food very good. They have a good range of breakfasts, lunches, tapas and desserts.  Good coffee to. They are closed on Tuesdays, but open otherwise as far as I know. I enjoyed the Mediterranean Scrambled Egg with Turkish Bread (feta, chorizo, tomato ) and coffee for lunch today. Very good. My friend had a scrambled egg with smoked salmon and a side salad instead of Turkish Bread, which they were happy to do, and she enjoyed that as well, and washed it down with a Chi Latte with spice. Breakfasts can be ordered up to 3.00pm so if your like us and like your eggs, you can have them for lunch!

Great Places To Visit: Tocumwal NSW on the Murray River.

 Perhaps I'm a little prejudiced, as Tocumwal is my home town, but I've always loved the Murray River Red Gums and watching the river & the bird, animal life here. All year around it delights me. Even the noisy Corella's can't put me off, I love living here. So why would a visitor want to spend time in Toc? Let me list just a small few off its attractions for you: Water sports: Fishing, skiing, swimming, canoeing, and any other water play you might like. Food: We have a number of Pubs, Clubs, Restaurants & Cafes if not in town then in easy driving distant. BIG variety for good old schnitzels, salads & chips to take-a-way favorites, great Coffee & Cakes and Bakery delights to tempt the taste buds!!  If you're an Artist or Photographer then Toc is a plethora of diverse landscapes to draw (pun intended) your attention. I for one have never tired of its beauty.  For the traveler's in their campers or caravans Toc has a selection of options for you to