Skip to main content

Machine Quilting for Beginners

Aside from gardening, another hobby of mine is quilting. I don't like things going too slowly, so machine quilting it is. I don't have enough patience for hand sewing.

First: I joined a quilting class.
Second: I purchased my first sewing machine with hints and tips from my quilting teacher.
Third: Didn't know how to sew, so quilting class number one, was also sewing lesson number one!
Don't get all agasp and think wow I couldn't do that! Yes you could, cause I did! As my quilting teacher pointed out...."it's just straight lines, or crooked lines", "anyone can do that", and fortunately she was right! Anyone did....me.

Since then, the bug has well and truly bitten. I enjoy all types of quilting from applique, to patches, to well....anything that I fancy. I like to make quilts that you can toss in the washing machine, hang on the cloths line, and then use. I'm not into show quilts. If you can't use it, I have no interest in making it. Hence, every bed in our house has its own quilt. My son has a quilt (African Animals), by nephew has a quilt (Skulls and Crossbones). If I'm making a quilt for someone, I like to take them fabric hunting with me if possible so they can choose the main fabric/theme for their quilt. Then the rest is up to me.
As a beginner sewer, I only use 3 different feet on my sewing machine. A standard sewing foot for zig zag and straight sewing, a walking foot for ditch stitching when quilting and a free sewing foot for ....well....free sewing when quilting. Another tool I like is an implement that you use to "mark a line" on your quilt to help you sew straight for long distances this is particularly  useful.

My favorite quilting tip is to pin (with safety pins) all 3 layers of the quilt together, instead of basting. Pinning works really well (use non rusting pins) and the pins are easy to remove as you sew.
All you need to do is tape the back of your quilt  (right side down) to a solid floor (not carpet), then place your wadding on top of that and lastly your quilt top (right side up). Your quilt back is held firmly in place with the masking tape and should be larger that the quilt top. The wadding should be slightly smaller or the same size as the back and your quilt top should be the smallest. Once all 3 are sitting together, start from the middle and pin about 100mm apart, gradually working your way to the edges, smoothing out the top as you go. When pinning is complete, untape the quilt back from the floor, all 3 layers are securely held together, reading for you to quilt. (sew them together).
Walking Foot

3 feet I use

Free sewing foot




Line marker


Ready to "walk the line". Note pins holding 3 layers together.

Cross hatched square - quilting

Skulls & Crossbones quilt top

Skulls & Crossbones quilt back with label.

Foundation Sampler - Front

Foundation Sampler - back

Purple Hearts - Front

Purple Hearts - back

African Animals - Front

African Animals - Back

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Great Places To Visit - Sanders Apples U-Pick and Orchard Tours. Three Bridges Yarra Valley Victoria Australia.

Like to do something a little different? Love fresh home grown produce? An apple a day keeps the doctor away, or so they say. So why not treat yourself and the family and friends to a new experience. U-pick apples. That means you get to go into the orchard and pick your own fresh apples! You can have a guided 45 minute tour walking or for more fun for the kids (any age) a tractor tour! See first hand how an orchard operates and gain an understanding of the apple growing process.  Great education for the kids to learn how their food is grown and produced. Not just the product on the shelf in a store. Want to have a picnic with the kids? No better place than Sanders Apple Orchards , Three Bridges, Yarra Valley, Victoria. First you can take your time wandering through the rows of apple trees, hand-pick your apples straight from the tree and enjoy them with your picnic lunch in the beautiful surrounds. Fresh apples for dessert of course! The kids will love them, and so wil...

Great Places To Visit: Tocumwal NSW on the Murray River.

 Perhaps I'm a little prejudiced, as Tocumwal is my home town, but I've always loved the Murray River Red Gums and watching the river & the bird, animal life here. All year around it delights me. Even the noisy Corella's can't put me off, I love living here. So why would a visitor want to spend time in Toc? Let me list just a small few off its attractions for you: Water sports: Fishing, skiing, swimming, canoeing, and any other water play you might like. Food: We have a number of Pubs, Clubs, Restaurants & Cafes if not in town then in easy driving distant. BIG variety for good old schnitzels, salads & chips to take-a-way favorites, great Coffee & Cakes and Bakery delights to tempt the taste buds!!  If you're an Artist or Photographer then Toc is a plethora of diverse landscapes to draw (pun intended) your attention. I for one have never tired of its beauty.  For the traveler's in their campers or caravans Toc has a selection of options for you to...

My Favourite Recipe Book for Slices -The Australian Women's Weekly Little Squares & Slices

Well I can only tell you that baking was boring and uninteresting before by dear sister-in-law introduced me to this wonderful cookbook.   The Womens Weekly Little Squares & Slices. The easiest, tastiest and some are even healthy little treats that you can make, encourage you to bake for kids fairs, church fundraisers etc.  A few of them even freeze well, so I have a day where I cook up the freezable ones. Then I leave an assortment of (usually cook 3) them in a cake tin on our kitchen table (the gathering and eating place) and freeze the rest cut and ready to go with baking paper between the layers. That way I just take out a little of each at a time (there's only hubby and I at home now) and we don't "pig out" on them before the slice goes stale.  It's also handy when friends/family drop in unexpectedly as you can go to the freezer and take some out and in about 5 mins they are ready to eat, depending on the slice. My favourite to freeze is chocolate ca...