Skip to main content

Orchids

Just love it when my orchids flower. Especially since I'm really bad at caring for them, they mostly have to make do on their own. Occasionally I remember to water the poor things, and about once a year I might remember to liquid feed them. Still they are very loyal and continue to flower. This year my favorite is "Tetleys Little Fireball". A lovely red which had 6 flower spikes on it with 18 to 21 flowers per spike. I was really impressed with this effort. I wonder how many spikes and how many flowers per spike it would have if I gave it some attention? Perhaps it prefers to be ignored. Anyway, it looking good, so I've cut the spikes and brought them inside to enjoy them. Orchids make great cut flowers as they last for ages. My other orchid to flower this year was "Chocolate Brown". It's the first pic. My yellow hasn't any flower spikes this year and my green one has one flower spike, but hasn't opened as yet. It always seems to be the last one to open. Might try giving them some T.L.C next year and see what happens! It might get them all to flower, or they might all go on strike!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Great Places To Visit - Sanders Apples U-Pick and Orchard Tours. Three Bridges Yarra Valley Victoria Australia.

Like to do something a little different? Love fresh home grown produce? An apple a day keeps the doctor away, or so they say. So why not treat yourself and the family and friends to a new experience. U-pick apples. That means you get to go into the orchard and pick your own fresh apples! You can have a guided 45 minute tour walking or for more fun for the kids (any age) a tractor tour! See first hand how an orchard operates and gain an understanding of the apple growing process.  Great education for the kids to learn how their food is grown and produced. Not just the product on the shelf in a store. Want to have a picnic with the kids? No better place than Sanders Apple Orchards , Three Bridges, Yarra Valley, Victoria. First you can take your time wandering through the rows of apple trees, hand-pick your apples straight from the tree and enjoy them with your picnic lunch in the beautiful surrounds. Fresh apples for dessert of course! The kids will love them, and so wil...

Great Places To Visit: Tocumwal NSW on the Murray River.

 Perhaps I'm a little prejudiced, as Tocumwal is my home town, but I've always loved the Murray River Red Gums and watching the river & the bird, animal life here. All year around it delights me. Even the noisy Corella's can't put me off, I love living here. So why would a visitor want to spend time in Toc? Let me list just a small few off its attractions for you: Water sports: Fishing, skiing, swimming, canoeing, and any other water play you might like. Food: We have a number of Pubs, Clubs, Restaurants & Cafes if not in town then in easy driving distant. BIG variety for good old schnitzels, salads & chips to take-a-way favorites, great Coffee & Cakes and Bakery delights to tempt the taste buds!!  If you're an Artist or Photographer then Toc is a plethora of diverse landscapes to draw (pun intended) your attention. I for one have never tired of its beauty.  For the traveler's in their campers or caravans Toc has a selection of options for you to...

My Favourite Recipe Book for Slices -The Australian Women's Weekly Little Squares & Slices

Well I can only tell you that baking was boring and uninteresting before by dear sister-in-law introduced me to this wonderful cookbook.   The Womens Weekly Little Squares & Slices. The easiest, tastiest and some are even healthy little treats that you can make, encourage you to bake for kids fairs, church fundraisers etc.  A few of them even freeze well, so I have a day where I cook up the freezable ones. Then I leave an assortment of (usually cook 3) them in a cake tin on our kitchen table (the gathering and eating place) and freeze the rest cut and ready to go with baking paper between the layers. That way I just take out a little of each at a time (there's only hubby and I at home now) and we don't "pig out" on them before the slice goes stale.  It's also handy when friends/family drop in unexpectedly as you can go to the freezer and take some out and in about 5 mins they are ready to eat, depending on the slice. My favourite to freeze is chocolate ca...