Skip to main content

Great Places To Visit - Archibald Art Exhibition in Ballarat 2016.

Spent a lovely day wandering around beautiful Ballarat.  The Archibald Art Exhibition was held in the Ballarat Art Gallery again this year....it's last one in Ballarat, Vic.

A small group of friends and I travelled by train from Melbourne to view the exhibition and spend a day out of the city.

The train trip from Melb to Ballarat was relaxing. We passed the time with chit chat and scenery watching or snoozing.

Walked from the train station up to the exhibition, which was a short easy walk, browsed around the gallery, then selected a spot for lunch, enjoyed a nice glass of wine with lunch, then a gentle stroll back to the train station to catch the 2.20pm train back to Melb.  Back in time to catch the local train home before peak hour rush.

A tired but happy bunch of Archibald wanders!

Recommend a train trip to Ballarat even without the Archibald Art Exhibition. The Art Gallery itself is worth a trip to visit and then wander around the town.  Nice area of the country and plenty of good spots to stop for a meal.












The Garry McDonald painting was my fav. There were plenty of artworks to look at and consider. I believe the Barry Humphries portrait was the "winner".  I always enjoy looking at the many artworks and marvelling at how talented people are. Some interpretations leave me a little "speechless" but I remind myself that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and we all see things differently and think differently.

A trip to the Archibald Art Exhibition is a day well spent I believe.  This is Ballarat's 2nd year of hosting the Archibald's so I've been told it gets moved every 2 years.  I have no idea where it will be next time, but guess I will find out. 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Great Places To Visit - Sanders Apples U-Pick and Orchard Tours. Three Bridges Yarra Valley Victoria Australia.

Like to do something a little different? Love fresh home grown produce? An apple a day keeps the doctor away, or so they say. So why not treat yourself and the family and friends to a new experience. U-pick apples. That means you get to go into the orchard and pick your own fresh apples! You can have a guided 45 minute tour walking or for more fun for the kids (any age) a tractor tour! See first hand how an orchard operates and gain an understanding of the apple growing process.  Great education for the kids to learn how their food is grown and produced. Not just the product on the shelf in a store. Want to have a picnic with the kids? No better place than Sanders Apple Orchards , Three Bridges, Yarra Valley, Victoria. First you can take your time wandering through the rows of apple trees, hand-pick your apples straight from the tree and enjoy them with your picnic lunch in the beautiful surrounds. Fresh apples for dessert of course! The kids will love them, and so wil...

Great Places To Visit: Tocumwal NSW on the Murray River.

 Perhaps I'm a little prejudiced, as Tocumwal is my home town, but I've always loved the Murray River Red Gums and watching the river & the bird, animal life here. All year around it delights me. Even the noisy Corella's can't put me off, I love living here. So why would a visitor want to spend time in Toc? Let me list just a small few off its attractions for you: Water sports: Fishing, skiing, swimming, canoeing, and any other water play you might like. Food: We have a number of Pubs, Clubs, Restaurants & Cafes if not in town then in easy driving distant. BIG variety for good old schnitzels, salads & chips to take-a-way favorites, great Coffee & Cakes and Bakery delights to tempt the taste buds!!  If you're an Artist or Photographer then Toc is a plethora of diverse landscapes to draw (pun intended) your attention. I for one have never tired of its beauty.  For the traveler's in their campers or caravans Toc has a selection of options for you to...

My Favourite Recipe Book for Slices -The Australian Women's Weekly Little Squares & Slices

Well I can only tell you that baking was boring and uninteresting before by dear sister-in-law introduced me to this wonderful cookbook.   The Womens Weekly Little Squares & Slices. The easiest, tastiest and some are even healthy little treats that you can make, encourage you to bake for kids fairs, church fundraisers etc.  A few of them even freeze well, so I have a day where I cook up the freezable ones. Then I leave an assortment of (usually cook 3) them in a cake tin on our kitchen table (the gathering and eating place) and freeze the rest cut and ready to go with baking paper between the layers. That way I just take out a little of each at a time (there's only hubby and I at home now) and we don't "pig out" on them before the slice goes stale.  It's also handy when friends/family drop in unexpectedly as you can go to the freezer and take some out and in about 5 mins they are ready to eat, depending on the slice. My favourite to freeze is chocolate ca...